Stabsbildzug Afrika

emblems,symbols,plates & paintings / kompletter (complete) Zweiter Weltkrieg (WWII)

Moderatoren: trapperjoe, Kuno

Stabsbildzug Afrika

Beitragvon Dobel » 24/12/2014, 17:09

Hello,

a few weeks ago several photographs of Stabsbildzug Afrika were offered on EBAY. All of these and the others I know from other web sites do not show the unit's insignia very well. A cut of one of the offered images shows it:
Zeichen-Stabsbildzug.jpg
Zeichen-Stabsbildzug.jpg (5.58 KiB) 373-mal betrachtet

Within the dark disk the contour of Africa can be seen, if a magnifier is used. Don't be vexed by the thicker part of the line: maybe it is reflecting the sun light better than the other parts. But there might be something else on the contour above this thicker part, which cannot be identified. The unit's flag shows an eagle beside and partly above Africa, but this does not help in clarification. Does anybody have an even more detailed photograph of this insignia. They were painted on the mudguards of towing vehicles and the backsides of trailers.

Regards
Axel
Dobel
Mitglied

Re: Stabsbildzug Afrika

Beitragvon Alanmccoubrey » 28/12/2014, 17:24

Axel, I've never heard of a "Stabsbildzug Afrika" , what was it ?
Alan
Alanmccoubrey
Mitglied

Beitragvon Dobel » 28/12/2014, 23:32

Hi Alan,

from the photographs offered on EBAY and the interpretation of the name:
They were responsible for treating the shots made by the (far distance) reconnaissance units, i.e. developing the films and interpretation of the imagery. In particular, they were working very closely with 1.(F)/121.
As they were Luftwaffe personell their results should have been sent to Fliegerführer Afrika or even directly to Stab Afrikakorps.

Maybe others are better informed than I am.

Axel
Dobel
Mitglied

Beitragvon Alanmccoubrey » 29/12/2014, 21:59

Thanks Axel.
Alan
Alanmccoubrey
Mitglied

Zurück zu Embleme,Wappen & Malings der Achse und der Alliierten