Siege of Kufra

Ground War

Moderatoren: trapperjoe, Kuno

Siege of Kufra

Beitragvon Kuno » 22/2/2007, 11:48

Matford V-8... you know where it is heading! And what is coming from behind...
Bild
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon Kuno » 22/2/2007, 11:50

Colonne Leclerc was originally equipped as well with some MATFORD-Trucks. This above picture is quiet famous and captioned to show the advance towards KUFRA.

You may recognize that although already a long time "busy in the desert", the French obviously did not use the famous sand-channels yet but some timbers - I am sure that they had a lot of "fun" with it!
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon DAKKER » 22/2/2007, 12:25

To me these guys look "morroccan"!
DAKKER

Beitragvon Kuno » 22/2/2007, 12:46

They do look like this - but I do not think that they are.
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon DAKKER » 22/2/2007, 13:34

In 1939 the French Military Commander of French Central Africa createt two motorized units as a quick reaction force. One was based in Dirlon (Niger) the other in Faya (Tchad). Both were equipped with 40 Matford 3,5to trucks with twin wheels.

Since Niger did not join the Free French but above pic is said to be taken between Faya and Ouninga it becomes clear which one of those two units it is.

To me, this is one of only three fotos showing this unit resp. the Matford.
DAKKER

Beitragvon Kuno » 22/2/2007, 13:45

Thanks, Dakker.

Although above pic is said to be showing trucks of Colonne Leclerc at the advance towards Koufra; I really douobt it. On all other pics in relation to Koufra you see practically only the Bedford MVs, then some Chevrolets and later on even Dodges.
Kuno
Top Poster

Do not shoot the messenger...

Beitragvon Nacht » 22/2/2007, 21:14

In the US we have a saying...."Do Not Shoot the Messenger!"

My relay was from the Militaria Special #3 Tobrouk... both images and the reparte' is from that article... I know Jean R.'s illustration work well and his name is on the book but for the illustrations only... so felt that the entirety was well researched.

I did not write the material... sorry if this was mis-construed... it says in the article that the 25 Lafflys were sent to LeClerc... and shows the armored car version...

I personally do not know... was simply trying by placing two photos in my "Unusual" thread to let Kuno know I was working on the photos I had finally found to go with Koufra research materials here... really hope that this is clear.

You guys are the "experts" in this area of study... definately not me!
Nacht

Beitragvon Kuno » 22/2/2007, 22:05

Nacht; I would say that above mentioned unit was taken over by Leclerc. He had not much battleworthy troops available so he took whatever was there. And as well there was a constant transport problem. The distances were immense....
Kuno
Top Poster

Zurück zu Bodenkrieg