Sahariana1.jpg (22.17 KiB) 968-mal betrachtet
Sahariana2.jpg
Sahariana2.jpg (27.45 KiB) 968-mal betrachtet
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon Kuno » 21/12/2005, 08:37

@ robc

Some questions to you:

> Can you tell us, why the SAHARIANA just dissapeared after the attack of the FFL onto KUFRA? I am of the opinion that the SAHARIANA was SZUPERIOR to the french forces and together with the garrison troops they could have had a very good chance to beat of the french.
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon robc » 21/12/2005, 11:13

In a few words, SUPPLIES! the "Cufra" fought the FFL between February 18 an 20, then, almost without fuel, was forced to retreat to Tazerbo. On February 22 a Savoia Marchetti S.75 plane refueled the seven Ghibli planes grounded some days before, while the following day the same plane refueled the ground troops of the Sahariana, allowing them to retreat to Zella. A veteran said they later prepared plans to get back the oasis in 1942 (operation "Luna di Tazerbo") but the following events made that impossible.
robc

Beitragvon Kuno » 21/12/2005, 11:27

Oh; I feel sorry for the Italians. They were sitting in KUFRA for about 10 years and obviously were not able to have enough fuel in stock to cope with french forces which came along a very long track from the South. Sorry to say - but the fuel the "KUFRA" needed to escape from TAZERBO to KUFRA would have been enough to continue the fight against the french and send them back to TCHAD.

My opinion.
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon robc » 21/12/2005, 16:32

Possibly; but remember that in December the Italian forces had suffered great losses in the battles during Operation Compass; Rommel had yet to arrive and the outposts in the desert had never really been considered as truly important by the High Command, even Kufra with the only airfield from which supplies could be transported directly to the Italian East Africa.

As you probably know, supplies were one of the greatest problems for the Italian troops throughout the North African campaign.
robc

Beitragvon Kuno » 21/12/2005, 16:43

@ robc

This is what we always read: "was not considered as important"...

not only from the Italian but as well from the German side. If nothing was important in the african campaign we may ask, why Italy did not just leave the continent instead of starting a war there. The sam question by the way to the Germans who brought in masses of troops and equipment once the campaign was already and finally lost.

Just a statement.

Not important. Yes, maybe it was only a small oasis in the deep South. But:

> It was a great (psychological) visctory for the free french and has probably brought a lot for them.

> It was later on a very good basis for the LRDG.

I am still sure that the Italian superiority during the french attack on KUFRA could have brought a victory to Italy! Annd it would have had its value, even if the Oasis would have had to be abandoned later on due to the general situation. At least for the FFL it would have been a serious throw back!
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon robc » 21/12/2005, 23:42

I still must say "probably"... what we can only do is "observe" whar did really happen; if you just think of what Lorenzini said in 1932 about the possibility the Italians had of mounting an assault to Aswan from Kufra, also thinking of what could happen if Sudan was taken while AOI (Italian East Africa) was still in Italian hands, you cannot understand why Kufra was not given the importance it deserved. Nevertheless, that is what it happened...
robc

Beitragvon Kuno » 22/12/2005, 08:16

Nevertheless, that is what it happened...

This is true...
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon Kuno » 31/12/2005, 10:30

@ Roberto

I will now try to read your article (although written in italian Language)...

...or would you mind to give us a brief instruction in english about the unit?

> How many companies?
> What equipment?
> What vehicles?
> Where was their HQ?
> Were there only Italians employed or where there Libyans or Eritreans?
> What were their main "battles" / engagements?
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon Kuno » 18/1/2006, 08:17

Roberto? Come on, I am counting on you!!!
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon robc » 18/1/2006, 11:07

Lots of work lately... as soon as I can I will prepare a short description and post it here: but it won't be good for your Italian, if you don't exercise your reading knowledge :wink:
robc

Beitragvon Kuno » 18/1/2006, 11:12

You catched me!!!
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon robc » 18/1/2006, 12:01

In reply to this post http://www.afrika-korps.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17267#17267 also: I'll keep writing here to avoid crossposting (I've placed a notice in the other thread).

Come on, Kuno, go to Kufra, shoot a couple thousand pictures of anything you can find there up to Sarra and the "Rocher Noir", while I try to gather something more so I can finally write a book which of course will be bilingual Italian/English.

To everybody in the forum: the above, though written "tongue-in-cheek", is not so far from my wishes... if anybody comes up with anything on the subject, either books or, better, personal pictures or objects, I would be very glad of knowing it, for possible inclusion in an article or a future book - of course with full acknowledgments; keep in mind, though, that due to copyright issues, for anything I need full "coordinates" (author, publisher, etc.) or permission from the owner.

I am posting here the full reference list on the subject I could gather in the past years: as you will notice, there's absolutely nothing in German, due to my almost nonexistent understanding of the language and to availability of books. If anybody finds anything that's NOT in the list, then please do post or PM me. Of course the attached list is the result of more than two years' work, if anybody is going to use it elsewhere he should keep the copyright notice; note also that it is an edited version containing some additional references gathered after the publication of the article.

Bibliography (PDF)

BTW, it seems that you cannot add PDF files as an attachment...
robc

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Sondereinheiten (Achse)