Google Earth

Various Locations

Moderatoren: trapperjoe, Kuno

Google Earth

Beitragvon neil » 2/10/2007, 15:58

I have spent many hours scanning the North African battlefeld on Google Earth. I have found MANY fighting positions across the landscape, only to realize later there modern positions. A few I suspect are redigs of old emplacements sence there in the right spot for known WW-II battles.

My question is, do'es anyone have any LON & LAT to KNOWN WW-II sites that those of us [that will never be able to make our way over there,] can look at on Google Earth?...Kuno?
Many areas of North Africa on Google Earth have clear pics with good zoom, we just need to know where to look.

neil
neil

Beitragvon neil » 2/10/2007, 16:14

Here are two examples...

Bild

and

Bild
This one in in the right place but looks "fresh".

neil
neil

Beitragvon neil » 2/10/2007, 16:26

This one is just outside El Alamein

Bild

Original???

neil.
neil

Beitragvon Kuno » 2/10/2007, 18:37

The reason to have hires pictures in the area of the border between Egypt and Libya is only there are many military installations ;-) However; I would say that 99% of those entrenchements etc. are of a modern origin and do not date back earlier than about the mid 1970ies when it came to tensions between Egypt and Libya. A good sign that you have a modern instalation in view is if you see the traces of the blades of the bulldozers.
Kuno
Top Poster

Beitragvon AlAghrab » 3/10/2007, 02:55

Kuno's right - most of what you see on google earth is modern earthworks for military or oil instaltions ... but not always - they had some large bulldozers in WW2 too... :)
Dateianhänge
caterpillar.jpg
Bulldozer, Egypt 1943
caterpillar.jpg (47.52 KiB) 528-mal betrachtet
AlAghrab

Beitragvon AlAghrab » 3/10/2007, 02:59

There are some areas still in LY where you could stlll see bomb crater traces from WW2, they were visible from an aircraft, so I guess maybe those would show up from googlearth satellite view?
AlAghrab

Beitragvon neil » 4/10/2007, 14:59

As far as the bulldozers, I've noticed that the "hull down" positons in AK photos tend to show the depression dug out with the fill forming the berm around the vehicle. Modern positions seem show the bulldozer scrapings from the outside pushed in to form the berm. I knew they had bulldozers in WW-II but I figured they would be reserved for major defensive positions like when the British dug in at El Alamein and not seen much out in the open desert. [opinion only]
Weathering of a position can not be a given for the age of the position, so again, without an exact location, age can not be determined from air photos . I'm still wondering if newer positions were'nt redigs of the older positions, figureing a defensive position back then, would most likely make a good defensive position in the future.

neil
neil

Beitragvon neil » 4/10/2007, 15:29

Bild

Bild
neil

Beitragvon neil » 4/10/2007, 15:48

This photo is from Kuwait, I keep hopeing to find a lost Panzer in my scans of North Africa.

..Hey! I can dream right? LOL :wink:

Bild
neil

Beitragvon mbberlin » 4/10/2007, 16:15

Yes, there are about 120 german tanks in the libyan desert! They are waiting for the next british attack! Nobody told them ever that the war ist over. 8) :D
mbberlin

Beitragvon neil » 27/10/2007, 07:35

:lol:
neil

Beitragvon neil » 25/9/2008, 12:25

:shock: Google Earth must have been updated! The area around El Alamein is clear, you can count the bushes in some areas. Toburk, clear, you can see the houses, although there is a big honken cloud covering the lower battlefield. Same with Sollum, clear west to Ft. Capuzzo. The ruins of Ft. Capuzzo are still a little blurry.

Our computer crashed so we had to get a new one. I re-downloaded GE 4.2 (?) edition and was shocked to see the clarity. I'm not sure if this is a normal update, or the new edition I down loaded.

neil

update, Kufra's clear now.
neil

Zurück zu Verschiedene Plätze